Doctor's don't view you holistically. I can say that phrase sums up my life better than anything else.
Before I start blogging selfishly and indulgently, assuming the masses will follow my every idea, you should have some background on me. Be aware. I'm not afraid to get gross and graphic. I'm hoping I can help survivors of any illness with some reality to share.
I had chronic bladder infections as a kid, like fourth grade kid. They seemed to become resistant to everything and I remember being on antibiotics for months at a time. Symptoms stopped seeming to correlate with infection. I would feel fine and test positive and vice verse. I underwent a million medical tests, and I was normal. Nothing anatomically wrong. I didn't seem to have a reason that these did not go away. I was lucky to have a bathroom attached to my bedroom I would go to the bathroom, let it sit overnight and smell it tomorrow. Awful smell=positive. Then I would see the doctor. If negative, the symptoms would go away within the day. I also avoided going to the bathroom before car trips and field trips, because that seemed to make symptoms come up.
Eventually this was in my past. I almost forgot about it. Until I started having sex in high school. Everything was fine at first. I was with one guy, in a way to committed and serious relationship for a high schooler. Then I got another UTI. Went to the ER because my doctor didn't have time for me. Got on meds. Got better.
When I finally got a doctor that would give me the time of day, I got on the pill. This is when I found out I was allergic to semen. Yeah, that's a thing. I knew for sure when the glands that are in your inner lips swelled so big that it looked like I had my own testicles. That was interesting. The boyfriend thought so too.
Then I got another UTI. Quick results were negative, but this was nothing new for me. However, the culture was negative. False negative I was assured. Apparently it happens a lot with cultures. I got antibiotics, took them, was fine. I also discovered Azo, a UTI pain killer of my dreams! Then it happened again. It happened so many times I had to see a urologist. The best one in my town!
The urologist gave me a HUGE prescription of antibiotics. He said it was ridiculous I had to keep coming in to get them. We discussed prevention a lot. So when I got another infection and took the pills. I did this a few times with some Azo too, until the pills stopped working. Resistance I told myself. Fantastic.
I went back to meet with the physician's assistant. She reprimanded me like a child. I didn't drink enough water. I didn't go to the bathroom enough. "I know your friends can go the whole day at school without going to the bathroom, but you can't!" Thanks lady. Can I go pee in the cup now?
Quick test negative. Culture negative "But finish your dose of new antibiotics anyway! You said they were making you feel better." I guess they were helping a little... I couldn't really tell after the new UTI pain meds they gave me. Time for a new urologist....
No comments:
Post a Comment